An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Aug. 22, 2019

Guard cyber teams called in to get schools, agencies back online

By National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, VA - National Guard cyber response teams are responsible for getting thousands of school children in Texas and Louisiana back online and into the classrooms.

The cyber response effort earlier this month also involved local and state cyber experts, noted Gen. Joseph Lengyel, chief, National Guard Bureau.

“Effective cybersecurity requires a whole-of-government approach," Lengyel said. “We succeed because we have built and sustained close relationships with our state, local, interagency cyber partners.”

In Texas, nearly 40 Army and Air Guard cyber personnel were called upon by their governor after a large-scale ransomware attack affected local municipalities and law enforcement departments. The Guard cyber experts teamed with local and state specialists to help with cyber assessment, response and recovery efforts.

In Louisiana, the governor requested Guard cyber assets to work with state experts to get 11 school districts back online, returning thousands of students back to their classrooms.

This is not the first time National Guard cyber assets have been called upon by their governor. Cyber teams supported national elections in several states last November. In total, the National Guard has 59 total cyber units. They also have a defensive cyber operations element in all 50 states.

“Our civilian-acquired and DoD-tested cyber experience allows the National Guard to make unique contributions to cybersecurity,” Lengyel stated.

As the 28th Chief of the National Guard Bureau and a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Lengyel is charged with ensuring 453,000 Army and Air National Guard Soldiers and Airman are accessible, capable and ready to protect the homeland and to provide combat forces to the Army and the Air Force.

“Once again, the National Guard and its productive partnerships were able to help our neighbors. We’re proud we contributed to efforts to get several schools and state agencies back online,” said Lengyel. “The cyber threat is real and the National Guard will counter these threats in the months and years to come.”

 

 

Related Articles
U.S. Army Soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 11th Airborne Division load onto a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) exercise at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii Oct. 14, 2024. The Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) is the Army’s newest Combat Training Center (CTC) and generates readiness in the environments and conditions where our forces are most likely to operate in. JPMRC 25-01 includes training participants from across the U.S. Joint Force, and multinational Allies and partners.
Hawaii Multinational Exercise Furthers Indo-Pacific Readiness
By Capt. Allen Gutierrez, | Nov. 1, 2024
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii — As one of Hawaii’s largest exercises, the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) brought together a diverse coalition of U.S. and multinational forces from Oct. 5-18,...

Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to military policy.
Indigenous South Dakota Soldier Receives Hair Exemption
By Staff Sgt. Breanne Donnell, | Nov. 1, 2024
RAPID CITY, S.D. – Native American Spc. Moses Brave Heart of the South Dakota Army National Guard’s 235th Military Police Company is growing his hair long after receiving an exception to policy. Brave Heart is a member of the...

Soldiers assigned to 2nd Battalion, 263rd Air Defense Artillery, 263rd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, South Carolina Army National Guard, attended a deployment departure ceremony Oct. 19, 2024, at the Easley Readiness Center, Easley, South Carolina. This unit is preparing to deploy to support Operation Inherent Resolve.
South Carolina Army Guard Air Defenders Deploying to CENTCOM
By Staff Sgt. Tim Andrews, | Oct. 31, 2024
EASLEY, S.C. - A departure ceremony was held Oct. 19 for South Carolina Army National Guard Soldiers deploying to support Operation Inherent Resolve in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.The Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 263rd...