An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | June 14, 2017

Minnesota Soldiers welcome Army Guard director to Saber Strike 17

By Sgt. Mark Otte 100th MPAD, Texas Army National Guard

PABRADE, Lithuania - Lt .Gen. Timothy J. Kadavy, director of the Army National Guard, with Maj. Gen. Timothy P. McGuire, deputy commanding general of U.S. Army Europe, met with Minnesota Army National Guard soldiers during Exercise Saber Strike 17 on June 10.

The Soldiers from the Minnesota National Guard, the 2-136th Combined Arms Battalion, represented the largest contingent of Guard members to participate in the exercise, which includes 20 allied and partnered nations.

While the Army National Guard has participated in the exercise in previous years, the number of Soldiers involved was historically limited to the size of a company. During Saber Strike 17, the 2-136 CAB from the 34th Infantry Division was mobilized to Lithuania; something Kadavy said was not only the next step in training the already-capable Soldiers from Minnesota, but also supports the larger mission at hand.

"We are visiting the soldiers in Pabrade to observe their training that serves as a culminating event after last year's National Training Center rotation," Kadavy said.

Of the 17 NATO countries participating in Saber Strike 17, the Minnesota National Guard is most closely tied with Croatia, whose soldiers have worked shoulder to shoulder with Minnesota Guard members since 1996 in the State Partnership Program.

After the Minnesota Guard troops met with their international counterpart in Parade, Lithuania— the site of Exercise Iron Wolf 17— for training operations that further strengthened the bonds between the two fighting forces, the Minnesota Guard members said that while the training site changed, their focus on mission readiness hasn't. Kadavy echoed these ideas during his visit to the Pabrade training area.

"This training supports the European Resolution Initiative, in support of U.S. Army Europe and EUCOM as well as strengthens partnerships with NATO Allies," Kadavy said.

During Lt. Gen. Kadavy's visit, a few Soldiers had the opportunity to sit down with him Saturday morning, a move one Soldier said reinforced the importance of Saber Strike and his role in the training exercise.

"When you have officers from that level visiting the training site, you know the training is important," said Pfc. David Pesta with 2-136 CAB.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...