An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | April 7, 2017

75 years ago, Guard members endured Bataan Death March

By Sgt. 1st Class Jon Soucy National Guard Bureau

ARLINGTON, Va. — When Army 1st Lt. Benjamin Morin, a tank commander with the Illinois Army National Guard's B Company, 192nd Tank Battalion, deployed to the Philippines in late 1941, he had little idea of what he and his fellow Soldiers would soon face.

Within a month of arriving, Morin's unit began fending off the advancing Japanese army along the Bataan Peninsula, giving Morin the distinction of being one of the first U.S. tank commanders to engage enemy forces during World War II.

But the Soldiers of Morin's unit could only hold off for so long against the larger and better equipped Japanese forces. On April 9, 1942 the Bataan Peninsula fell to the Japanese army after four months of fighting. More than 11,000 American and 60,000 Filipino soldiers found themselves prisoners of war and were forced to march the 65 miles under horrific conditions in what is now known as the Bataan Death March.

Many may say Morin was one of the lucky ones. He and his tank crew were captured early in the fighting and were not part of the march itself, though they still endured harsh treatment as prisoners. Other members of his unit, however, did take part, as well as Soldiers with the New Mexico Army Guard's 200th and 515th Coast Artillery Regiments and the 194th Tank Battalion, made up of units from the Minnesota and California Army Guard. Other Army Guard units came from Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri and Wisconsin.

Those who endured the march were subjected to physical abuse, lack of food and water and what many describe as unrelenting beating, torture and brutality. With hot and humid weather conditions, many prisoners succumbed to the physical demands of the march. Those who couldn't keep up were often simply executed on the spot.

Roughly 54,000 service members survived the march, though conditions didn't improve once the prisoners reached their destination. Poor living areas and overcrowding gave rise to diseases such as dysentery. Medical care was virtually non-existent and many who survived the march itself died in the days after reaching the camp.

The prisoners endured continued abuse until the end of the war and were often used as slave labor.

Morin survived and was ordained as a Roman Catholic priest in 1946, working as a missionary in Peru for 38 years. He died in 2016 at age 94 and was the last surviving officer of the 192nd Tank Battalion.

Others survived too, including Chief Master Sgt. Paul Lankford, who served with the Army Air Corps' 27th Bomb Group and was captured by Japanese forces in early 1942. After the war he served in a variety of positions within the Air Force and worked to establish the Air National Guard's noncommissioned officer academy at McGhee-Tyson Air Force Base. He was named the school's first enlisted commandant in 1968. Lankford passed away in 2008 at age 89.



Related Articles
Members of the Armed Forces of Liberia conducted a mass casualty exercise scenario with partners from the Michigan National Guard at 14 Military Hospital May 23, 2024, in Dauzon, Liberia. The two are partners under the Department of Defense National Guard Bureau State Partnership Program.
Michigan Guard, Liberia Conduct Casualty Response Exercise
By Capt. Andrew Layton, | May 30, 2024
DAUZON, Liberia – A joint team of Michigan Army and Air National Guard medical professionals worked with Armed Forces of Liberia staff to create a preliminary mass casualty response plan for the AFL’s 14 Military...

U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Ben Barnes, assigned to the 134th Medical Company Ground Ambulance, 109th Multifunctional Medical Battalion, assesses an injured Soldier at the Joint Multinational Readiness Center near Hohenfels, Germany, May 29, 2024, during Exercise Combined Resolve 24-2.
134th Medical Company Joins Combined Resolve Exercise
By Capt. Christopher Booker, | May 30, 2024
JOINT MULTINATIONAL READINESS CENTER, Germany – U.S. Soldiers assigned to the 134th Medical Company Ground Ambulance, 109th Multifunctional Medical Battalion, are participating in Exercise Combined Resolve 24-2 near...

The New Hampshire National Guard helped rescue and evacuate a hiker with a broken leg in the White Mountain National Forest May 26, 2024. The UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crew flew the man to Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin, N.H.
New Hampshire Guard Medevacs Injured Hiker to Safety
By National Guard Bureau | May 29, 2024
THOMPSON and MESERVE’S PURCHASE, N.H. - The New Hampshire National Guard rescued a hiker with a broken leg in the White Mountain National Forest and evacuated him to a hospital over Memorial Day weekend.The New Hampshire Fish...