An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | March 3, 2015

Senior leaders: Guard, reservists well-suited for security cooperation efforts in Middle East

By Capt. David E. Leiva U.S. Army Central Command

CAMP ARIFJAN, Kuwait – After a 90-minute senior-level discussion that surveyed the current dynamic geopolitical and military landscape in the Middle East and the need to build more partnerships between several nations and the Army’s reserve components, Maj. Gen. R. Martin Umbarger asked one simple question: How can the Indiana National Guard get more involved?

“Put us in, coach,” said Umbarger, the venerable adjutant general of the Indiana National Guard since 2004, turning a familiar sports phrase to etch his point. The state’s combined Army and Air Guard has nearly 15,000 Soldiers and Airmen.

Hosted by Maj. Gen. Dana Pittard, the deputy commanding general of operations at U.S. Army Central Command, or USARCENT, Umbarger was one of several senior Army National Guard and Army Reserve leaders who participated in the Joint Monthly Access for Reserve Components, or JMARC, in February. The program enables leaders to observe first-hand the contributions of their respective deployed personnel.

But before they spent time meeting with Soldiers from home, the generals and accompanying senior enlisted leaders met with Pittard and his staff Feb. 19 in the Coalition War Room, nestled inside the secure compound that is home to USARCENT. The conference room overlooks the scores of military planners from different services and allied nations who are executing a myriad of operations during unprecedented times.

One opportunity that resonated was expansion of theater security cooperation activities that has been a source of growth in recent years to include more reserve-component Soldiers. These events give reservists a chance to participate in overseas deployment training and exercises with partner nations in the Middle East.

Still, in the realm of military-to-military engagements, the National Guard’s State Partnership Program remains the most coveted. Nearly 70 unique security partnerships involve 74 nations that link a state’s National Guard with the armed forces or equivalent of a partner country in a mutually beneficial relationship.

In the USARCENT area of responsibility, however, there is room for development. Only five nations have relationships with a state’s National Guard. Umbarger noted that his state’s formal bond with the Central European nation, Slovakia, has blossomed over the last 20 years.

“I have been to Slovakia 13 times. I know Slovakia as well as I know Indiana,” said Umbarger, asking which nations in the Middle East might be looking for partnerships.

Three headquarters, one team

As USARCENT gazes beyond 2015, its requirements are not expected to fall. If anything, they may rise. In a rarity, since last year, USARCENT has staffed and manned three headquarters: Army Service Component Command (ASCC) to United States Central Command (USCENTCOM), the Theater Combined Forces Land Component Command (CFLCC), and Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR).

The staffing and deployments have led to nearly 20 percent of the Army’s Soldiers in theater coming from the reserve components, a fact that was not lost on the audience as the lines between active Soldiers and their reserve counterparts continue to blur. By some estimates, nearly one-third of the USARCENT staff is comprised of the reserve component, and that is a good retention tool, and evidence of the total force policy at work, some leaders say.

Command Sgt. Maj. Steven Hatchell, of the Fort Knox, Kentucky-based 11th Theater Aviation Command, said it is important that reservists are integrated into theater security cooperation, calling it a “big asset” to get Soldiers out working in the theater.

“Many of the Soldiers I talk to think of exiting the Army Reserve because they joined up to deploy and serve their country, and now that’s not necessarily happening,” Hatchell said. “And when they leave, all of that knowledge and experience leaves with them.”

That is a predicament the reserve component cannot afford, according to Brig. Gen. Arthur Hinaman of the District of Columbia National Guard, who came to see the 276th Military Police Company, the first Army National Guard unit to conduct confinement operations at the only detention center in the USARCENT area.

“We can’t stand back and congratulate ourselves,” Hinaman said. “There’s still a lot of work to be done.”

Col. Anthony Couture, the senior National Guard advisor at USARCENT whose staff is a direct liaison to the various National Guard commands, said based on the comments made during the visit, his office will intensify efforts to swell the partnership program in the Middle East.

“I think it is clear from this visit that there is a demand, and a mandate for the reserve component to get and stay involved in theater security cooperation events, particularly, the SPP,” he said. “We have our marching orders.”

Other leaders at this visit included Maj. Gen. Daniel York and Command Sgt. Maj. Jamespeter Matthews of the Utah-based 76th Operational Response Command; Brig. Gen. Troy Kok of the 11th Theater Aviation Command; Command Sgt. Maj. James Gordon of the Indiana National Guard; Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Brooks of the District of Columbia National Guard; and Command Sgt. Maj. Shane Lake of the Oregon National Guard.

 

 

Related Articles
Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the Command Chief Warrant Officer of the Army National Guard, addresses attendees of a warrant officer caucus session during the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) conference in Milwaukee, August 24, 2025. The 147th NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition – which is held annually to connect delegates from all 54 states and territories to discuss the future of the National Guard – took place August 21-25 and featured various events and social gatherings throughout Milwaukee to showcase Wisconsin’s rich history and heritage.
Searcy Leaves Legacy of Advocacy for Warrant Officers in Army Guard
By Lt. Col. Carla Raisler, | Aug. 28, 2025
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — Chief Warrant Officer 5 Brian Searcy, the eighth command chief warrant officer of the Army National Guard, will retire later this year after more than three decades of service.Searcy marked the occasion this...

The 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company conducts training exercise, Operation Golden Corridor in Dahlonega, Georgia, August 15, 2025. Throughout the duration of the exercise, Soldiers simulated peer and near-peer electromagnetic warfare scenarios and enhance unit proficiency in spectrum mapping, RF detection, and alternative radar awareness capabilities under austere conditions.
Georgia Guard Company Leads in Electromagnetic Warfare Modernization
By | Aug. 27, 2025
DAHLONEGA, Ga. - The Georgia Army National Guard’s 111th Electromagnetic Warfare Company, based in Forest Park, Georgia, is rapidly establishing itself as a leader in the Army’s modernization efforts within the...

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy Shooting Match, August 21, 2025, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The history of the Logan Duffy Rifle Match goes back nearly 90 years to the first match, which was held in 1936.
Massachusetts, New York Guard Members Compete in Historic Logan-Duffy Rifle Competition
By Sgt. 1st Class Steven Eaton,   | Aug. 27, 2025
DEVENS, Mass. – Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts Army National Guard, and the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, participated in the annual Logan-Duffy...