An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | May 18, 2010

Recalled helmets no 'direct risk' to Soldiers

By Army Master Sgt. Doug Sample Army News Service

WASHINGTON, - The Army recall of 44,000 Advanced Combat Helmets that were issued to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan is the result of a Department of Justice investigation as well as independent tests that show the helmets do not meet Army standards, military officials said today.

Army officials say the recalled helmets are not a "direct risk" to soldiers.

Army Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller told reporters today that while the helmets failed to meet Army standards, there is no evidence that any soldier was ever harmed from their use. The recalled helmets provided a safe degree of protection, Fuller said, but they were "just not up to our standards." The Army, he said, is withdrawing the helmets from the field.

Fuller heads up Program Executive Office-Soldier, a Fort Belvoir, Va.,-based organization that oversees the development and testing of Army equipment.

The recall involves about 4 percent of about 1.6 million Advanced Combat Helmets that are in the Army's inventory, PEO-Soldier officials said.

Fuller said the Army issued a May 13 directive to combatant commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan calling for the immediate turn-in of helmets manufactured by ArmorSource, the contractor.

The recall, Fuller explained, is the result of a Department of Justice investigation, and individual tests conducted at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., which proved the helmet did not meet Army standards. The general said he could not elaborate on the DOJ findings because of the ongoing investigation.

"Our number-one mission is to ensure every soldier's lethal survivability equipment can survive in any environment, and a helmet is a personal piece of equipment that provides that survivability," Fuller said. "We want to make sure they never have any question as to whether or not this will be able to stop what it needs to stop."

Fuller said the Army began the recall process immediately upon notification of the DOJ investigation and after the results of independent testing revealed flaws in the ballistic capability of the helmet. In January, the Army was notified by the DOJ of the investigation after the paint on some helmets began peeling. The helmets were then subjected to further tests by the Army, which determined the ballistic defect.

The recall notice was issued as a precautionary measure, Fuller said.

So far, none of the recalled helmets have been found at the Bagram Airfield Central Issue Facility, the main supply hub for troops deployed in Afghanistan, PEO-Soldier officials said.

Mike Brown, the director of supply for Army logistics, said helmet inspections are currently underway in Iraq and Afghanistan. Recalled helmets are being turned in, he said.

Army Command Sgt. Maj. Bernard C. McPherson, the PEO-Soldier senior enlisted advisor, said the Army is working at every level to ensure all affected helmets are accounted for.

"Helmets in the field will be detected during pre-combat checks and inspections by sergeants and [other] leaders," McPherson said.

Army Col. William Cole, the project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment, said ArmorSource had manufactured roughly 102,000 of the Advanced Combat Helmets. Of that number, he said, 55,000 helmets remain in the warehouse supply system, with about 3,000 having been issued to other services through the Defense Supply Center, Philadelphia.

The Army is committed to finding and obtaining all of the defective helmets, Cole said. "That's why we are doing this through diligence, right now, to find them," he said.

The Army has three other helmet manufacturers. They are: MSA North America, BAE Systems, and Gentex Corp.

 

 

Related Articles
Tech. Sgt. Brendan Overstreet from the Kentucky Air National Guard’s 123rd Airlift Wing drops off Alicia Crawford at Norton Hospital Brownsboro in Louisville, Ky., Jan. 26, 2026, for her shift as a medical-surgical nurse. Crawford was unable to drive to work after Winter Storm Fern dumped about 10 inches of snow and ice Jan. 24 and 25, leaving many secondary roads and parking lots impassable with two-wheel-drive vehicles. More than 50 Kentucky Guard Airmen will remain on duty as long as needed, officials said. Photo by Dale Greer.
Kentucky Guard Transports Patients, Medical Workers After Winter Storm
By Dale Greer, | Jan. 27, 2026
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Airmen from the Kentucky Air National Guard’s 123rd Airlift Wing are transporting medical patients and healthcare providers to and from clinics and hospitals after Winter Storm Fern dumped about 10 inches of...

U.S. Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Anthony O’Tool, a fuels management craftsman with the 185th Air Refueling Wing, hugs his wife on his return from a deployment at the 185th Air Refueling Wing in Sioux City, Iowa, Jan. 25, 2026. The Airmen were deployed to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility Photo by Staff Sgt. Tylon Chapman.
Iowa National Guard Welcomes Home 185th Airmen from Deployment
By Staff Sgt. Tylon Chapman, | Jan. 27, 2026
SIOUX CITY, Iowa – Family and friends welcomed the Iowa National Guard’s 185th Air Refueling Wing Airmen back from their deployment from the U.S. Central Command, or CENTCOM, area of responsibility during a homecoming event...

Maryland Army National Guard Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 175th Infantry Battalion and paramedics from Old Town Fire Station push an ambulance out of the snow in Baltimore, Jan. 25, 2026. At the direction of Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, about 160 personnel of the Maryland National Guard activated to support civil authorities with specialized vehicles across the state to ensure rapid response capabilities for communities that may require assistance during inclement weather conditions. Photo by Staff Sgt. Lindiwe Henry.
National Guard Members Respond to Winter Weather in 15 States
By Sgt. 1st Class Christy Sherman, | Jan. 26, 2026
ARLINGTON, Va. – More than 5,300 National Guard members are on duty in 15 states in the aftermath of winter storms that dropped snow and ice from the Midwest to the Mid-Atlantic and the South over the weekend.“[I’m] proud of...