An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Oct. 26, 2007

California Guard on duty as residents return to their homes, or what's left of them

By Master Sgt. Greg Rudl National Guard Bureau

CORONADO, Ca. - Before Mike Maury could thank the firefighters who he thought had prevented his house from going up in flames, he thanked the California National Guard for protecting it from looters.

When a convoy of Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 184th Infantry (Light) approached his home on Cabella Drive in the Carmel Mountain area north of San Diego, Maury was overcome with gratitude, going from Humvee to Humvee shaking hand after hand; his wife other family members and neighbors doing the same.

It was about mid-day on Oct. 25, and just minutes earlier Maury and fellow residents had been allowed to return to their neighborhood. Soldiers from the California Guard were there to provide order.

Some residents returned to find their homes untouched by the wildfires that had scorched the area this week. Others found only brick chimneys and piles of ashes.

"We got out with the clothing on our back," said Maury, 59, with his wife Elma at his side. This 28-year resident said that a wooden overhang above the front door of his 2,000 square foot house was on fire when he left it Monday. When he returned three days later, he didn't know if he'd still have a house. Luckily, this former Illinois National Guard member did have a house. Unfortunately, in a cul-de-sac just 100 meters away, charred remains were all that was left of four homes.

This sporadic destruction was what Soldiers witnessed as they convoyed along curving, hilly roads in this upscale neighborhood: a house untouched while the one next to it was a pile of charcoal.

The Soldiers' job, according to the patrol leader, Capt. Michael Riley, was to ensure that "the right people are getting back in their houses."  Not looters or conmen posing as contractors.

Riley's men worked alongside members of the San Diego Police Department as the barricades were removed and anxious residents poured back in. In the hours and days prior to the opening, troops from the 184th had stood guard at security checkpoints, allowing only first responders into the area.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger early this week directed that 1,500 California Guardmembers be made available for wildfire-fighting duty.

"I got the call on Monday at 1:05 a.m. and by 1:10 we were moving," said Lt. Col. Dirk Levy, commander of the 1st Battalion, 184th Infantry (Light). "Within 20 hours we had Soldiers on the ground."

When Levy arrived at this staging area, a barren area on the north side Montgomery Airfield near San Diego, smoke from the fires to the east was pouring down from the hills.

"I had to put my face in my sleeping bag the first night because the smoke was so bad," Levy said. He commanded troops over a huge area, from San Diego to the Mexican border. Levy explained that the majority of the 400 troops are combat veterans from Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Levy explained his unit's mission: "There's less armed patrolling here than Katrina.  It's more of a reassuring the public."

The 184th is attached to the California Army Guard's 40th Infantry Brigade Combat Team.

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Gen. Thomas Friloux, adjutant general of Louisiana, and Command Sgt. Maj. Clifford Ockman, command senior enlisted leader of the Louisiana National Guard, join city officials, federal partners and leaders from state agencies during the annual ceremonial walk down Bourbon Street marking the official close of Carnival Season in New Orleans, Feb. 18, 2026. Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras security operations as part of Operation NOLA Safe. Photo by Capt. Peter Drasutis.
Louisiana Guard Supports Law Enforcement Partners During Mardi Gras
By Capt. Peter Drasutis, | Feb. 20, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana National Guard Soldiers supported federal, state and local law enforcement partners throughout peak Mardi Gras operations in the French Quarter, assisting with crowd management, emergency response and...

U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Matthew Wright, a cyber analyst with the 267th Intelligence Squadron, poses for a photo on Otis Air National Guard Base, Massachusetts, Feb. 18, 2026. Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration between the Department of the Air Force Artificial Intelligence Accelerator program and the private research university. Photo by Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy.
Massachusetts Guardsman Collaborates With Top AI Researchers in Prestigious Fellowship
By Senior Airman Julia Ahaesy, | Feb. 20, 2026
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Massachusetts National Guard Senior Airman Matthew Wright recently completed a challenging five-month fellowship program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology through a unique military collaboration...

Brig. Gen. Brad Carter, Col. Lindy White and Capt. E.J. Johnson, Oklahoma Army National Guard, are joined by Oklahoma Rep. Chris Kannady, as well as representatives from Flintco Construction, Larson Design Group and Oklahoma Army National Guard Construction and Facilities Maintenance Office, during the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center in Oklahoma City, Feb. 19, 2026. The 35,000-square-foot facility is at the Oklahoma City Military Complex in Oklahoma City. Amenities within the wellness center include a fully equipped workout space for resistance training and agility, indoor and outdoor meditation spaces, a chapel, conference rooms, classroom spaces and a teaching kitchen. The facility also houses Oklahoma National Guard programs and services, including Behavioral Health; Chaplain; Equal Employment Opportunity; Family Programs; Holistic Health and Fitness; Integrated Primary Prevention; Resilience; Suicide Prevention; Substance Abuse Prevention and Risk Reduction; and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response. Photo by Staff Sgt. Anthony Jones.
Oklahoma National Guard Unveils New Wellness Center
By Leanna Maschino, | Feb. 20, 2026
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma National Guard leadership held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Feb. 19 for the Oklahoma National Guard Wellness Center, a nearly 35,000-square-foot facility at the Oklahoma City Military Complex."This is a...