An official website of the United States government
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : Article View
NEWS | Oct. 17, 2017

California Guard Airmen provide critical communication support to wildfire evacuees

By Senior Airman Crystal Housman California National Guard

MARCH AIR RESERVE BASE, Calif. — Airmen from the California National Guard continue to provide cellphone and internet support to people who fled their homes last week as wildfires raged through California’s wine country.

The 163d Attack Wing at March Air Reserve Base in Moreno Valley sent four Airmen and its Mobile Emergency Operations Center (MEOC) to Napa Valley College in Napa, late Tuesday, Oct. 10, where an evacuation center was established Monday, Oct. 9, after the Tubbs fire threatened homes in the Calistoga area.

The MEOC is a rapidly deployable, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Type 2 communications trailer that can provide customers with ground-to-ground and air-to-ground communications support. It also features a self-contained wireless network and satellite uplink capabilities.

With local cellphone towers down and Internet access limited by the fires, many evacuees had no way to reach family members or get new information about the fires.

By early Wednesday morning, the MEOC and its staff of emergency management and communications Airmen established a wireless internet network and set up a tactical cellphone tower enabling evacuees to make phone calls and contact loved ones.

The MEOC team is also providing up to date fire maps and incident information along with full motion video being streamed into the trailer. More than 300 people have come into the MEOC seeking information since the Airmen arrived.

“A lot of these people are wondering if their house is burned to the ground or not, and we’re giving those people relief,” said Staff Sgt. Tyler Crumpton, MEOC team leader and emergency manager.

“We were able to type in their address and see how close they were to the fire line,” said Staff Sgt. Hideyoshi Izumi, who serves as a communications operator for the MEOC.

Izumi, who is working the overnight shift while the MEOC provides around-the-clock services to evacuees, said about 20 people stop by for updated information each night.

“People can’t sleep,” Izumi said. “They want to know if their home is gone.”

Sometimes the news isn’t good.

“These people are taking bad news like a champ. They’re told some pretty rough stuff,” Crumpton said. “I get the feeling they are hopeful and tough people.”

About 1,200 people from the Calistoga, Napa and Lake Berryessa communities have come through the shelter, American Red Cross officials said.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) personnel and insurance representatives are also using the MEOC to access real time fire maps and data to further their work.

The California Guard activated last Tuesday in support of civil authorities battling a series of wildfires that started Oct. 9. Soldiers and Airmen are providing aerial, ground and infrastructure support during the response and recovery effort.

 

 

Related Articles
Maj. Joel Loranger, the operations officer for the 157th Security Forces Squadron, is awarded the Bronze Star Medal May 2, 2026, at Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire. Loranger earned the decoration for his leadership as the defense force commander at Al Asad Air Base from April to October 2025. Photo by Tech. Sgt. Timothy Hayden.
New Hampshire Air Guard Officer Awarded Bronze Star
By Tech. Sgt. Timothy Hayden, | May 8, 2026
PEASE AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, N.H. — A New Hampshire Air National Guard officer was awarded the Bronze Star Medal May 2 for distinguished accomplishments while deployed to Iraq, where he led security forces through a series...

Louisiana National Guard Soldiers conduct a roving patrol as part of Task Force NOLA operations during French Quarter Fest. The Louisiana National Guard activated approximately 120 Soldiers under Task Force NOLA to support enhanced security operations in the French Quarter, contributing to the safety and success of the French Quarter Festival and New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.
Louisiana National Guard Supports Festival Security Operations
By Spc. Duncan Foote, | May 8, 2026
NEW ORLEANS – The Louisiana National Guard activated approximately 120 Soldiers under Task Force NOLA to support enhanced security operations in the French Quarter, contributing to the safety and success of the French Quarter...

Indiana National Guard Sgt. Brendan Bartlett, a cyber specialist with the 147th Cyber Warfare Company, and Spc. Caleb Chambers, assigned to 1st Battalion, 151st Infantry Regiment, pose with their award for winning the highest overall combined score alongside Command Sgt. Maj. Mathew Hopkins, Michigan Army National Guard senior enlisted leader, after completing the Region IV Best Warrior Competition at Fort Custer Training Center, Michigan, May 2, 2026. The competition featured competitors from Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Photo by Staff Sgt. Hector Tinoco.
Indiana Guard Soldiers Score Well at Regional Competition
By Master Sgt. Jeff Lowry, | May 7, 2026
INDIANAPOLIS – Two Indiana National Guard Soldiers received top honors at a Midwest regional competition held at Fort Custer Training Center, near Augusta, Michigan, April 30-May 2.Sgt. Brendan Bartlett and Spc. Caleb...