BRIGADIER GENERAL MICHAEL J. LOVELL
Brig. Gen. Michael J. Lovell serves as the Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Intelligence, United States Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. He is the principal advisor to the Director of Intelligence on Reserve Component matters to synchronize component, joint, and coalition all-source intelligence and enable the execution of assigned strategic deterrence, space and cyberspace operations to achieve USSTRATCOM and National Objectives.
General Lovell received his commission, through the Academy of Military Science after completing his undergraduate degree at Virginia Commonwealth University. He has a Master of Science in Executive Leadership and served in flight and squadron command along with staff positions at Wing, Numbered Air Force, State Joint Force Headquarters, and Major Command levels. General Lovell is an ISR Mission Commander with over 1,800 mission hours in the MQ-1, MQ-9, MC-12, RQ-4, RQ-170, and U-2 in Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, NEW DAWN, ENDURING FREEDOM, ODYSSEY DAWN and UNIFIED PROTECTOR. Prior to assuming his current military position, General Lovell was the Director of Intelligence, Texas Air National Guard and dual-hatted as the Executive Director for Joint Base San Antonio’s Electromagnetic Defense Initiative.
1993 Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
2003 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Cyber Operations Fundamentals Course, by correspondence
2015 Executive Level Cybersecurity Course, University of Texas, San Antonio-Center for Infrastructure Assurance and Security
2017 Master of Science in Executive Leadership, Champlain College, Burlington, Vt.
2021 National Security Studies Management Course (NSSMC), Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
1. June 1994 - January 1997, Field Maintenance Officer, 192d Fighter Group, Richmond International Airport (IAP), Va.
2. January 1997 - January 1999, Component Repair Flight Officer, 192d Fighter Group, Richmond IAP, Va.
3. January 1999 - October 2000, Commander, 192d Communications Flight, Richmond IAP, Va.
4. October 2000 - October 2002, Finance Officer, 192d Fighter Wing, Richmond IAP, Va.
5. October 2002 - May 2006, Comptroller, 192d Fighter Wing, Richmond IAP, Va.
6. May 2006 - April 2007, Executive Officer to the Adjutant General of Virginia, Joint Force Headquarters, Richmond, Va.
7. April 2007 - July 2008, Director of Staff – Air, Joint Force Headquarters, Richmond, Va.
8. July 2008 - October 2008, Intelligence Officer, 192d Operations Support Flight, Langley AFB, Va.
9. October 2008 - May 2009, student, intelligence officer training, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
10. May 2009 - April 2010, Intelligence Officer, 192d Operations Group, Langley AFB, Va.
11. April 2010 - April 2013, Commander, 192d Intelligence Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
12. April 2013 - April 2014, ANG Advisor to the AF ISR Agency Commander, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
13. April 2014 - April 2017, ANG Advisor to the 25th Air Force Commander, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
14. April 2017 - October 2017, Inspector General, 25th Air Force and Chief, Inspection Team E, Headquarters Air Combat Command Office of the Inspector General, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, VA with duty at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
15. October 2017 - August 2019, Director of Joint Intelligence (J2), Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas; dual-hatted, December 2017 – July 2019, ANG Advisor to the 25th Air Force Commander, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
16. August 2019 - September 2020, Executive Director, Joint Base San Antonio Electromagnetic Defense Initiative, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas
17. September 2020 - Present, Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Intelligence, United States Strategic Command, Offut AFB, Neb.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Certified Public Accountant, Commonwealth of Virginia
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 9, 1994
First Lieutenant Aug. 11, 1996
Captain Sept. 20, 1998
Major Oct. 31, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 14, 2008
Colonel Dec. 20, 2013
Brigadier General Sept. 12, 2020
(Current as of June 2021)