BRIGADIER GENERAL VIRGINIA I. GAGLIO
Brig. Gen. Virginia I. Gaglio is the Chief of Staff and Air Component Commander, Massachusetts Air National Guard. She is the principal advisor to The Adjutant General and Land Component Commander in the administration, coordination, planning, development and execution of all Air National Guard and National Guard Joint Staff programs. She ensures the preparation of the 8,200 airmen and soldiers of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for contingency operations in both federal and state emergencies. She assists The Adjutant General in overseeing the Commonwealth’s Joint Homeland Defense Program, to include rapid reaction forces, contingency emergency response forces, counter drug operations, civil support teams, expeditionary medical teams and explosives ordnance disposal.
Prior to her current assignment, she was the wing commander of the 102nd Intelligence Wing. She has served in Operations NORTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. General Gaglio received her commission through the Academy of Military Science program at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Technical Education Center in September 1992, where she was a distinguished graduate.
1992 Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Castle Air Force Base, California
1995 Master of Arts in Education, Lesley University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1998 Squadron Officer School (SOS)
2004 Air Command and Staff College (ACSC), by correspondence
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education (AJPME)
2014 Harvard University, Leadership in Homeland Security
2014 Joint Task Force Commanders Course (NORTHCOM)
2019 Dual Status Commander Orientation Course, NORTHCOM, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
2021 Globalism vs. Sovereignty Seminar (GVS), Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington D.C.
2021 Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC), Arlington, VA
1. September 1992 - February 1993, Equipment Maintenance Branch Officer-In-Charge, 102nd Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
2. March 1993 - May 1995, Component Repair Flight OIC, 102nd Maintenance Squadron, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
3. May 1995 - June 1996, Equipment Repair Flight OIC, 102nd Maintenance Squadron, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
4. July 1996 - January 2001, Sortie Generation Flight OIC, 102nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
5. January 2001 - October 2002, Commander, 102nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
6. October 2002 - August 2008, Commander, 102nd Mission Support Flight, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
7. August 2008 - January 2012, Deputy Commander, 102nd Intelligence Group, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
8. January 2012 - December 2013, Commander, 102nd Intelligence Group, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
9. December 2013 - May 2016, Vice Commander, 102nd Intelligence Wing, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
10. June 2016 - November 2019, Commander, 102nd Intelligence Wing, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
11. February 2020 - Present, Chief of Staff, JFHQ MA ANG, Hanscom AFB, Mass.; dual-hatted, August 2020 - Present, Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Manpower and Reserve Affairs (SAF/MR), NGB/CF, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with eight oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Force Reserve Medal with bronze hour glass and ‘M’ device
Air Force Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Dual Status Commander-Massachusetts – Joint Task Force-Minuteman (COVID-19 Pandemic Operations), March-June 2020
Massachusetts National Guard Joint Diversity Executive Council, vice chair - Current
ANG Air Directorate Field Advisory Council (ADFAC) Chair, 2018-2019
Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance (ISR) Weapon Sys Council Chair, 2015-2017
American Red Cross-Southeastern Massachusetts, Board Member, 2014-2019
National Guard Association of Massachusetts, Exec Committee, May 2002 - April 2004
National Guard Association of Massachusetts, President, May - April 2005
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 17, 1992
First Lieutenant Sept. 30, 1994
Captain Sept. 30, 1996
Major Oct. 3, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 27, 2004
Colonel Jan. 5, 2012
Brigadier General Feb. 27, 2020
(Current as of August 2021)