Brigadier General Travis K. Acheson
Brig. Gen. Travis K. Acheson is Assistant Adjutant General - Air, Puerto Rico National Guard. In this capacity, he commands, controls, and supervises the employment of State Air National Guard units within a joint forces environment. He reinforces the Puerto Rico National Guard Adjutant General's Strategic Plan, mission and goals for the 156th Wing, the 140th Air Defense Squadron, and the 141st Air Control Squadron. He ensures the Puerto Rico Air National Guard meets United States Air Force and National Guard Bureau readiness standards. General Acheson also directly advises the Adjutant General ensuring his situational awareness of key Air National Guard employment and emergency responses. Prior to becoming a general officer, he served as the Special Assistant to the Commander, 132nd Wing, Iowa Air National Guard
General Acheson commissioned in 1992 through the Air National Guard Academic of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn. Following pilot training at Reese Air Force Base, Texas and F-16 training at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., he was assigned to the 124th Fighter Squadron, Des Moines, Iowa. There he served as Squadron Scheduling Officer, Squadron Training Officer, Flight Commander, Squadron Commander, and Air Expeditionary Squadron Commander. He also served the 132nd Wing as the Distributed Training Operation Center Project Officer and the RC-26B Program Manager.
General Acheson is a Command Pilot with more than 2,900 flying hours in the F-16CG, F-16C+, RC-26B, and MQ-9 and has flown over 500 combat hours in support of Operations Provide Comfort, Northern Watch, Noble Eagle, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom and Freedom Sentinel.
1990 Bachelor of Science in Economics, University of Iowa
1999 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2002 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2013 Air National Guard Squadron Commander's Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2014 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2015 Air National Guard Commander's Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2016 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase II Course, United States Army North, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2018 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
1. September 1992 - October 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 1993 - January 1994, Student, Fighter Lead-In Training, 49th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
3. February 1994 - October 1994, Student, F-16 Formal Training Unit, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
4. November 1994 - April 2006, F-16 Pilot, Scheduling Officer, Training Officer, 124th Fighter Squadron, Des Moines, Iowa
5. May 2006 - August 2011, F-16 Pilot, Flight Commander, 124th Fighter Squadron, Des Moines, Iowa
6. September 2011 - June 2013, F-16 Pilot, 124th Fighter Squadron Commander, Des Moines, Iowa Air National Guard (February 2012 - May 2012, Commander, 124th Air Expeditionary Squadron, Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan)
7. July 2013 - May 2014, Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
8. June 2014 - June 2016, Director, Training and Exercises (J7), Joint Planning Group, Joint Force Headquarters, Des Moines, Iowa
9. June 2014 - September 2017, Director of Operations - Air, Joint Force Headquarters, Des Moines, Iowa
10. June 2014 - March 2015, Project Officer, Distributed Training Operation Center, 132nd Wing, Des Moines, Iowa
11. April 2015 - January 2016, RC-26 Pilot, Program Manager, 132nd Wing, Des Moines, Iowa
12. July 2016 - January 2017, Vice Chief of Staff, Joint Planning Group, Joint Force Headquarters, Des Moines, Iowa
13. February 2017 - September 2017, Chief of Staff, Joint Planning Group, Joint Force Headquarters, Des Moines, Iowa
14. August 2017 - March 2019, Special Assistant to the Commander, 132nd Wing, Des Moines, Iowa
15. April 2019 - Present, Assistant Adjutant General, Puerto Rico JFHQ, San Juan, P.R.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,900
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-16CG, F-16C+, RC-26B, MQ-9
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border and two oak leaf clusters
AF Longevity Service with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with four 'M' devices
Basic Military Training Honor Graduate
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
Commercial Air Transport Pilot, American Airlines, B-737
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & AFFLIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States
Iowa National Guard Officer’s Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 4, 1992
First Lieutenant Nov. 15, 1994
Captain Dec. 7, 1996
Major June 6, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 12, 2007
Colonel Dec. 11, 2014
Brigadier General April 10, 2019
(Current as of May 2019)