MAJOR GENERAL DAVID A. WEISHAAR
Maj. Gen. David A. Weishaar is the Adjutant General, Kansas National Guard and serves as Director of Emergency Management and Homeland Security. As adjutant general, he is the senior military advisor to the governor and commander of the Kansas National Guard, responsible for overseeing training and readiness of 7,000 Airmen and Soldiers. General Weishaar also guides a professional core of 105 county emergency managers and staff, 2,300 full-time state and federal employees, to be prepared at all times. All while ensuring security in the state is maintained to the highest degree.
General Weishaar initially entered the Air Force in 1981 as an aircraft maintenance specialist. He later separated and then joined the Kansas Air National Guard in 1985, where he held various aircraft maintenance positions. General Weishaar was commissioned in 1996 through the Academy of Military Science, where he was awarded Distinguished Graduate.
Previous assignments include Director of Joint Staff, Chief of Staff- Air, Assistant Adjutant General - Air and Commander, Kansas Air National Guard. Prior to his current role, General Weishaar served in a dual hatted position, as Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
1992 Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management, Friends University, Wichita, Kan.
1996 Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2002 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Joint and Combined Warfighter School, Norfolk NAS, Va.
2017 Leadership in Homeland Security, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
1. September 1996 - November 1998, Chief, Logistics Plans, 184th Bomb Wing, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
2. November 1998 - February 2003, Chief of Supply, 184th Bomb Wing, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
3. February 2003 - December 2003, Chief of Supply, 184th Air Refueling Wing, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
4. December 2003 - December 2004, Crew Commander, 299th Network Operations Security Squadron, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
5. December 2004 - October 2007, Commander, 184th Communications Flight, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
6. October 2007 - November 2008, Commander, 127th Combat Munitions Squadron, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. November 2008 - February 2013, Commander, 299th Network Operations Security Squadron, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. February 2013 - October 2015, Commander, 184th Mission Support Group, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
9. October 2015 - May 2018, Commander, 184th Intelligence Wing, KSANG, McConnell AFB, Kan.
10. May 2018 - July 2019, Assistant Adjutant General, Topeka, KS
11. July 2019 - April 2020, Chief of Staff, Topeka, Kan.; dual-hatted, August 2019 - Present, Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. April 2020 - Present, The Adjutant General, Kansas, Topeka, Kan.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal one oak leaf cluster
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Services Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service with eight oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with three devices
United States Air Force Noncommissioned Officer Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with one device
Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
Kansas National Guard Meritorious Service Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
Kansas National Guard State Emergency Duty Service Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
Kansas National Guard Commendation Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
Kansas National Guard Service Medal with three devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 19, 1996
First Lieutenant Sept. 19, 1998
Captain Sept. 19, 2000
Major Sept. 22, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel March 19, 2009
Colonel Aug. 9, 2013
Brigadier General May 5, 2018
Major General April 1, 2020
(Current as of September 2020)