MAJOR GENERAL JON S. SAFSTROM
Maj. Gen. Jon S. Safstrom serves as Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Continental United States North American Aerospace Defense Command Region and First Air Force (Air Forces Northern), Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., where he advises on all policies and programs relating to the Air National Guard. He assists the Commander to organize, equip and operate air defense forces for the continental U.S., including the three distinct missions: homeland air defense for the continental United States, aerial support of civil authorities and theater security cooperation for North America. Additionally, he also serves as NORAD Deputy Combined Forces Air Component Commander (CFACC).
General Safstrom earned his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps upon graduation from the University of Colorado. After ten years of active service in the U.S. Navy, he joined the Minnesota Air National Guard, where he has commanded at the squadron, group and wing level. General Safstrom is a command pilot with over 3,700 flight hours, primarily in the F-16 and F/A-18, to include more than 300 hours in combat and over 300 carrier-arrested landings. He has deployed multiple times throughout his career in support of Operation’s RESTORE HOPE, SOUTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE and IRAQI FREEDOM.
Prior to assuming his current position, the general served as Assistant Adjutant General for the Minnesota Air National Guard and was dual-hatted as the Director, Air National Guard Commander Leadership Course.
1988 Bachelor of Science Degree, Civil Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air War College, Correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Level IV Anti-Terrorism Executive Training, McLean, Va.
2015 National Security Management Fellow, Maxwell School, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2018 Dual Status Commander Course, NORAD/NORTHCOM, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2018 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, NORAD/NORTHCOM, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2018 Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC), JB Andrews, Md. & JB San Antonio-Lackland, Tex.
2019 Regional Studies Seminar – Mid-East Asia, Washington, D.C.
1. December 1988 - April 1989, Aviation Preflight Indoctrination, Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola, Fla.
2. April 1989 - November 1989, Primary Flight Training, VT-6, NAS Whiting Field, Fla.
3. November 1989 - August 1991, Intermediate and Advanced Jet, VT-19/7, NAS Meridian, Miss.
4. August 1991 - October 1992, F/A-18 Fleet Replacement Training, VMFAT-101, MCAS El Toro, Calif.
5. October 1992 - March 1996, F/A-18 Instructor Pilot, Operations Officer, VFA-27, NAS Lemoore, Calif.
6. March 1996 - November 1996, F/A-18 and F-5 Aggressor Pilot, Training Officer, VFA-127, NAS Fallon, Nev.
7. November 1996 - January 1997, Adversary Instructor Course, Navy Fighter Weapons School, NAS Fallon, Nev.
8. January 1997 - September 1998, Adversary Instructor, Standardization Officer, VFC-13, NAS Fallon, Nev.
9. September 1998 - August 2007, Flight Commander, Aerospace Control Alert Pilot, 179th FS, Duluth, Minn.
10. August 2007 - September 2010, Operations Support Squadron Commander, 148th Operations Group, Duluth, Minn.
11. September 2010 - October 2015, Vice Commander and HQ Group Commander, 148th Fighter Wing, Duluth, Minn.
12. October 2015 - December 2017, Commander, 148th Fighter Wing, Duluth, Minn.
13. December 2017 - September 2021, Assistant Adjutant General, Joint Forces Headquarters, Saint Paul, Minn.
14. October 2021 - Present, Air National Guard Assistant to Commander, CONR-1AF, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,700
Aircraft flown: T-34C, T-2, A-4, F/A-18, F-5, F-16 (Block 15/25/50)
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Navy Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation
Navy Battle Efficiency Ribbon
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star device
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with bronze star device
Air Force Longevity Service Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 23, 1988
First Lieutenant Jan. 1, 1990
Captain Jan. 1, 1993
Major Jan. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2007
Colonel Jan. 1, 2013
Brigadier General Dec. 3, 2017
Major General Oct. 1, 2021
(Current as of March 2022)