Brigadier General Sandra L. Best
Brig. Gen. Sandra L. Best is the Chief of Staff for the Minnesota Air National Guard. She is responsible for command supervision, oversight and leadership of the 133rd Airlift Wing and 148th Fighter Wing to include all items pertaining to manning, operations, readiness, training and equipping of units in the Minnesota Air National Guard. In her full-time position she is the Air National Guard Chief of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, Minnesota. In this position she serves as the principle advisor to the Adjutant General on a broad range of matters concerning the Air National Guard to include logistics, information systems, manpower and personnel, public affairs, recruiting and retention, civil engineering, medical, state emergency response, diversity, family and employer support.
General Best was commissioned in 1991 through the Academy of Military Science at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tennessee. She has served in a variety of positions within the Minnesota Air National Guard to include Military Equal Opportunity Officer, Personnel Officer, Executive Support Officer, Military Personnel Management Officer on the Adjutant General's staff, Lead Operational Readiness Inspection Planner, and Logistics Operations Officer. She was selected as the 133rd Logistics Readiness Squadron Commander in 2008, deployed to Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan as the Force Rotations Chief, Combined Joint Task Force 101, 101st Airborne Division and then returned to her Command. In 2011, she was appointed to the position of Director of Government Relations by The Adjutant General, State of Minnesota and simultaneously served as Air Plans Officer, both at Joint Force Headquarters. In July 2014, she was promoted to Director of Strategic Relations at Joint Force Headquarters and also selected to be the 133rd Mission Support Group Commander where she commanded over 450 airmen and was responsible for directing and managing vital mission support infrastructure operations for the 133rd Airlift Wing.
General Best began her career in 1984 when she enlisted in the Minnesota Air National Guard as a Personnel Specialist and progressed through the enlisted ranks to Technical Sergeant.
1988 Associate of Applied Science in Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell, Ala.
1988 Bachelor of Arts in Human Resource Management, Metropolitan State University, Saint Paul, Minn.
2000 Master of Business Administration, University of Saint Thomas, St Thomas, Minn.
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2015 National Security Policy Studies, National Defense University (NDU), Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC); Joint Base Andrews, Md. & Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
2018 National Security Studies Management Course (NSSMC), Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
1. January 1991 - September 1994, Military Equal Opportunity Officer, 133rd Airlift Wing, Saint Paul, Minn.
2. October 1994 - May 2001, Personnel Officer, 133rd Mission Support Flight, Saint Paul, Minn.
3. May 2001 - December 2002, Executive Support Officer, 133rd Airlift Wing, Saint Paul, Minn.
4. December 2002 - January 2005, Military Personnel Management Officer, Joint Force Headquarters, Saint Paul, Minn.; dual hatted, Jun 2004 - Jan 2005 Interim Deputy Chief of Staff (Air), Joint Force Headquarters, Saint Paul, Minn.
5. January 2005 - February 2006, Lead Operational Readiness Inspection Planner, 133rd Airlift Wing, Saint Paul, Minn.
6. February 2006 - March 2008, Operations Officer, 133rd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Saint Paul, Minn.
7. March 2008 - March 2011, Commander, 133rd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Saint Paul, Minn.; deployment, Sep 2008 - Mar 2009, Force Rotations Chief, Combined Joint Task Force 101, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
8. March 2011 - August 2014, Director of Government Relations, Joint Force Headquarters, Saint Paul, Minn.; deployment, Jun 2014 - Jul 2014 Senior Training Coordinator, Norwegian Exchange 41, Norway
9. September 2014 - February 2016, Commander, 133rd Mission Support Group, Saint Paul, Minn.; dual hatted, Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 Director of Strategic Relations, Joint Force Headquarters, Saint Paul, Minn.
10. February 2016 - Present, Chief of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters - Minnesota, St Paul, Minn.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Services Medal with five Oak Leaf Clusters
National Defense Service Medal with Gold Star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with four Oak Leaf Clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Gold Hour Glass, M device and numeral two
United States Air Force Non Commissioned Officer Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Rifle)
Air Force Training Ribbon
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & AFFLIATIONS
Air Force Association
American Legion Post 491
Association of the United States Army
American Veterans Post 24
Metropolitan State University Alumni Board of Directors
Military Officers Association of America
National Guard Association of the United States (Life Member)
Reserve Officers Association
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9024
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 14, 1991
First Lieutenant Feb. 20, 1993
Captain Feb. 27, 1995
Major March 20, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel May 18, 2003
Colonel May 24, 2012
Brigadier General Feb. 1, 2016
(Current as of August 2018)