Brigadier General Wayne A. Zimmet
Brig. Gen. Wayne A. Zimmet is Assistant Adjutant General - Air, Puerto Rico National Guard. In this capacity, he commands, controls, and supervises the employment of State Air National Guard units within a joint forces environment. He reinforces the Puerto Rico National Guard Adjutant General's Strategic Plan, mission and goals for the 156th Airlift Wing, the 140th Air Defense Squadron, and the 141st Air Control Squadron. He ensures United States Air Force and National Guard Bureau policies are effectively used by the Puerto Rico Air National Guard assigned units' mission readiness preparations. General Zimmet directly advises the Adjutant General ensuring his situational awareness of key Air National Guard employment and emergency responses. Prior to this assignment, General Zimmet served as Chief of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters, Puerto Rico Air National Guard, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
General Zimmet earned his commission in 1983 from the Reserve Officers Training Corps program at Kent State University. While servicing in the United States Air Force, General Zimmet was attached to the Puerto Rico Air National Guard through the United States Air Force Total Force Program in 1993. In 1995, he transferred to the Puerto Rico Air National Guard where he has held leadership positions at the squadron, wing, and headquarters level. General Zimmet is a command pilot with over 2,500 hours in the T-37, T-38, F-4, F-16, and C-130. He has flown combat mission in support of Operation Enduring Freedom as well a numerous deployments to Europe and Asia.
1983 Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
1990 Squadron Officer School, in residence
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
1. March 1984 - March 1985, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 82nd Student Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. March 1985 - May 1985, Student, Lead-In Fighter Training Course, 479th Tactical Training Wing,Holloman AFB, N. M.
3. January 1986 - August 1987, Special Tactics Fighter Pilot, F-4E, 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
4. August 1987 - January 1989, Aircraft Commander, 497th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Taegu Air Base, Korea
5. January 1989 - December 1989, F-16C Pilot, 36th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Korea
6. December 1989 - December 1991, Cruise Missile Operations Chief, 6512th Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. December 1991 - October 1992, Cruise Missile Operations Chief, 445th Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. October 1992 - October 1993, F-16A Pilot, 12th Air Force Total Force Program, Puerto Rico International Air Port, P. R.
9. October 1993 - June 1995, Chief, Squadron Standardization and Evaluation, 12th Air Force Total Force Program, Muñiz ANGB, P.R.
10. June 1995 - June 1998, F-16A Pilot, 198th Fighter Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, P.R.
11. June 1998 - June 1999, Command Post Officer Controller, 198th Airlift Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, P.R.
12. June 1999 - April 2006, Chief, Command Post, 156th Airlift Wing, Muñiz ANGB, P.R.
13. April 2006 - April 2007, C-130 Mobility Pilot, 198th Airlift Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, P.R.
14. April 2007 - November 2007, Flight Commander, 198th Airlift Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, P.R.
15. December 2007 - August 2008, Chief, Current Operations, 156th Operation Support Flight, Muñiz ANGB, P.R.
16. August 2008 - January 2009, Director of Support, Puerto Rico ANG, Joint Force Headquarters, San Juan, P.R.
17. January 2009 - June 2012, Director of Operations, Puerto Rico ANG, Joint Force Headquarters, San Juan, P.R.
18. July 2012 - September 2013, Chief of Staff
19. September 2013 - Present, Assistant Adjutant General, Puerto Rico JFHQ, San Juan, P.R.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: Over 2,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-4D, E, C, R, YF, F-16A, C, ADF, C-23, C-130E
Pilot wings: Williams AFB, Arizona
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long Tour
Air Force Longevity Service with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with bronze hourglass and 'M' device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon - Rifle
Air Force Training Ribbon
Commercial Airline Pilot - United Airlines with 10000+ hours flying time
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 25, 1983
First Lieutenant Nov. 25, 1985
Captain Nov. 25, 1987
Major March 8, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel March 8, 2003
Colonel Jan. 10, 2009
Brigadier General July 1, 2012
(Current as of August 2018)