MAJOR GENERAL GARY W. KEEFE
Maj. Gen. Gary W. Keefe is currently assigned as The Adjutant General, Massachusetts National Guard. He oversees the strategic direction, administration and operation of the Massachusetts National Guard with an annual budget of $450 million, to ensure over 9000 joint soldiers, airmen and civilians are trained, equipped and mission-ready to support national security objectives overseas, as well as protect life and property, and preserve peace, order and public safety as directed in times of natural disaster and civil emergency within Massachusetts.
General Keefe received his commission in 1986 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Norwich University. Once commissioned he served as a Ground Launched Cruise Missile Launch Officer with the 71st Tactical Missile Squadron, Florennes Air Base, Belgium. He completed his active duty service in 1992 as a Peacekeeper Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile Combat Crew Flight Commander, and Evaluator with the 90th Strategic Missile Wing, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming. In 1992, he joined the Massachusetts Air National Guard with the 104th Fighter Wing as an Active Guard/Reservist. He has held the positions of Logistics Plans and Programs Chief, Supply Management Officer, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Logistics Group Commander, Maintenance Group Commander, and Mission Support Group Commander. In 1999, during Operation ALLIED FORCE, General Keefe served as the Expeditionary Logistics Group Commander for the presidentially activated 104th Expeditionary Operations Group, Birgi Air Base, Trapani, Italy. He commanded 420 United States Air Forces Europe personnel comprised from the Air National Guard’s 104thFighter Wing, 110th Fighter Wing and the 124th Fighter Wing, as well as personnel from the United States Air Force, and Air Force Reserve. In 2003 during Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, General Keefe served as the 387th Expeditionary Logistics Group Commander at a classified location in South West Asia. He commanded in excess of 800 United States Central Command personnel and was responsible for all aircraft maintenance and logistics activities associated with A/OA-10 Aircraft and Predator Remotely Piloted Aircraft missions throughout the Air Campaign. Prior to his current assignment, General Keefe served as the Director of Manpower, Personnel and Human Resources (J1) for the Massachusetts National Guard, the Massachusetts Air National Guard Director of Staff, Vice Chief of the Massachusetts National Guard Joint Staff, Assistant Adjutant General-Air, and Commander of the Massachusetts Air National Guard.
1986 Norwich University, Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Northfield, Vt.
1991 Lesley University, Master of Science, Management, Cambridge, Mass.
2003 United States Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2009 National Defense University, North Atlantic Treaty Organization Staff Officer Development Course, Fort Lesley McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Cambridge, Mass.
2011 Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, United States - Russia Security Program, Cambridge, Mass.
2011 National Defense University, Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort Lesley McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 United States Northern Command, Dual Status Commander Orientation Course, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
2011 United States Northern Command, Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
2012 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century (AFSO21), University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
2012 Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff, Level IV Antiterrorism Executive Seminar, Booze Allen Hamilton Conference Center, McLean, Va.
2012 Senior Reserve Component Officer Course, United States Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2012 United States Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC), Joint Base Andrews, District of Columbia and Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
2013 Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, Senior Executives in National and International Security Program, Cambridge, Mass.
2014 George C. Marshall Center - European Center for Security Studies, Senior Executive Seminar; "Adapting Our Strategies to Counter Evolving Transnational Terrorist Threats from al-Qaeda, its Affiliates and Advocates"; Garmisch, Germany
2015 Syracuse University, Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs, National Security Studies Fellows Management Course, Syracuse, N.Y.
2017 United States Air Force Advanced Senior Leadership Development Program (ASLDP), Strategic Engagement Seminar (SES), Warrenton, Va.
2017 University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar (AF ELS), Chapel Hill, N.C.
2018 Executive Certificate in Public Leadership, Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2019 CAPSTONE, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2021 United States Air Force sponsored Alan L. Freed Associates, INC. - Area Studies Seminars; “Africa Seminar: Demographics, Resources and Governance”, Alexandria, Va.
1. January 1987 - May 1987, Student, Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) Initial Qualification Training, 868th Tactical Missile Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. May 1987 - June 1988, Deputy Combat Crew Commander, Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM), 71st Tactical Missile Squadron, Florennes Air Base, Belgium
3. June 1988 - October 1988, Student, Peacekeeper Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Combat Crew Undergraduate Missile Training, 4315th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
4. October 1988 - November 1989, Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander, Peacekeeper Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), 400th Strategic Missile Squadron, 90th Strategic Missile Wing, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
5. November 1989 - April 1991, Missile Combat Crew Commander, Peacekeeper Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), 400th Strategic Missile Squadron, 90th Strategic Missile Wing, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
6. April 1991 - August 1992, Standardization and Evaluation/Missile Combat Crew Commander, 90th Operations Group, 90th Missile Wing, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
7. August 1992 - October 1994, Chief, Logistics Plans and Programs, 104th Logistics Group, 104th Fighter Wing, Barnes Air National Guard Base, Westfield, Mass.
8. October 1994 - October 1996, Supply Management Systems Officer, 104th Logistics Squadron, 104th Logistics Group, 104th Fighter Wing, Barnes Air National Guard Base, Westfield, Mass. (September 1995 – October 1995, Logistics and Plans Officer / Installation Deployment Officer, Operation DENY FLIGHT, Aviano AB, Italy)
9. October 1996 - November 1998, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 104th Maintenance Squadron, 104th Logistics Group, 104th Fighter Wing, Barnes ANGB, Westfield, Mass.
10. November 1998 - May 2002, Commander, 104th Logistics Group, 104th Fighter Wing, Barnes ANGB, Westfield, Mass. (May 1999 – September 1999, Commander, 104th Expeditionary Logistics Group, Operation ALLIED FORCE/NOBLE ANVIL, Birgi AB, Italy), (July 2000 – August 2000, Commander, 104th Logistics Group, Operation SOUTHERN WATCH Air Expeditionary Force 7, Ahmed Al Jaber AB, Kuwait)
11. May 2002 - September 2005, Commander, 104th Maintenance Group, 104th Fighter Wing, Barnes ANGB, Westfield, Mass. (January 2003 – May 2003, Commander, 387th Expeditionary Logistics Group, Operation ENDURING FREEDOM/IRAQI FREEDOM, Classified Location)
12. September 2005 - January 2007, Commander, 104th Mission Support Group, 104th Fighter Wing, Barnes ANGB, Westfield, Mass.
13. January 2007 - August 2008, Director, Human Resources (J1), Massachusetts National Guard, Massachusetts Joint Force Headquarters, Milford, Mass.
14. August 2008 - May 2009, Director of Staff/Vice Chief of Joint Staff, Massachusetts National Guard, Massachusetts Joint Force Headquarters, Milford, Mass.
15. July 2009 - February 2011, Retired, United States Air Force
16. February 2011 - December 2012, Assistant Adjutant General-Air, Massachusetts National Guard, Massachusetts Joint Force Headquarters, Hanscom AFB, Bedford, Mass.
17. December 2012 - February 2014, Commander, Massachusetts Air National Guard, Massachusetts Joint Force Headquarters, Hanscom AFB, Bedford, Mass.
18. June 2013 - June 2016, (Dual Hat Assignment) Air National Guard Assistant to Commander, Air Force Material Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. February 2014 - May 2016, Chief of Staff, Massachusetts Air National Guard, Massachusetts Joint Force Headquarters, Hanscom AFB, Bedford, Mass.
20. May 2016 - Present, The Adjutant General, Massachusetts National Guard, Massachusetts Joint Force Headquarters, Hanscom AFB, Bedford, Mass. (April 2018 – Present, Co- Chairman, Air Reserves Policy Committee and Major Command Air Reserve Forces Policy and Advisory Council, Appointment from Secretary of the Air Force Headquarters USAF, SAF, Pentagon, D.C.)
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with bronze oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor, silver oak leaf cluster, and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with bronze oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with "N" device
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold frame
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with silver oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass, "M" device and numeral 2
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
NATO Medal with bronze star
Massachusetts Medal of Merit
Massachusetts Service Medal with three bronze stars
Massachusetts Desert Storm Ribbon
Massachusetts Defense Expeditionary Ribbon
Massachusetts Defense Service Ribbon with two bronze stars
Massachusetts Emergency Service Ribbon with three silver stars and bronze star
United States Army, Association of Quartermasters, The Honorable Order of Saint Martin
Although presently serving as The Adjutant General, General Keefe's permanent civilian occupation is that of the Assistant Adjutant General/Executive Officer, Military Division of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. This is a statutory state employee position that serves as the full time liaison for The Adjutant General, the Massachusetts Army National Guard Land Component Commander, and the Massachusetts Air National Guard Air Component Commander on all matters pertaining to the missions of the Massachusetts National Guard. He is The Adjutant General's primary point of contact with other state agencies, non-governmental agencies, veterans' organizations, and the National Guard Bureau. Served concurrently from March 2013 through June 2014 as Executive Director of Massachusetts' Joint Base Cape Cod, a 22,000 acre, joint military installation that supports the 102nd Intelligence Wing, Camp Edwards Army National Guard, United States Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, and the United States Air Force 6th Space Warning Squadron.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & AFFLIATIONS
Adjutant Generals Association of the United States
National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Association of Massachusetts
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8006, Life Member
American Legion Post #224
Association of the United States Army
Air Force Association
Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts
The Military Order of the World Wars, Boston Chapter, Life Member
Yankee Division Alumni Association
Commissioner to Administer Oaths to Public Officers, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Board of Directors, National Guard Association of the United States
Board of Corporators, Florence Bank, Florence, Massachusetts
Board of Trustees, Holyoke Soldiers’ Home (Chairman 2021), Holyoke, Massachusetts
Board of Directors, Fisher House, Boston, Mass.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 16, 1986
First Lieutenant Sept. 18, 1988
Captain Sept. 18, 1990
Major Oct. 18, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 7, 2001
Colonel July 22, 2004
Brigadier General Oct. 4, 2011
Major General Jan. 28, 2016
(Current as of February 2022)