Major General Robert M. Branyon
Maj. Gen. Robert M. Branyon is the Deputy Commander for Mobilization and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters United States Southern Command, Miami, Florida. In this position General Branyon serves as principal advisor to the Combatant Commander on issues that maximize the effectiveness of Reserve Component integration into the Theater Campaign Plan.
General Branyon graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in June 1982 with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. He served his first operational fighter tour at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina, as an Instructor Pilot in the F-4 Phantom. Next, he instructed as a USAF Aggressor Pilot at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, flying both the F-5E Tiger II and the F-16 Fighting Falcon. General Branyon joined the Florida Air National Guard in 1991 where he flew both the F-16 and F-15 Eagle and served as Flight Commander, Fighter Squadron Commander, Maintenance Group Commander, Wing Vice Commander, and Wing Commander. He then served as Chief of Staff and Commander of the entire Florida Air National Guard and also served as acting Vice Commander, Continental United States North American Aerospace Defense Command Region-First Air Force (Air Forces Northern), Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. General Branyon next served as Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander of Air Combat Command, beginning his current assignment in November 2015.
1982 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2003 Air War College, by correspondence
2007 Joint Air and Space Operations Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt AFB, Fla.
2007 Master of Business Administration, Strategic Leadership, Western Governors University, Salt Lake City, Utah
2011 Joint Task Force Commanders Course, North American Aerospace Defense Command/Northern Command (NORAD/NORTHCOM), Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2012 CAPSTONE, National Defense University, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 Dual Status Commanders Course, North American Aerospace Defense Command/Northern Command (NORAD/NORTHCOM), Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2013 National Security Studies Management Course, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2014 Air Force Smart Operations 21, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
2014 Combined Force Air Component Commander's Course (CFACC), Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Harvard University, General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Cambridge, Mass.
2017 Advanced Senior Leader Development Program-Strategic Engagement Seminar (ASLDP-SES), Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
2017 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course (JFOWC), Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
1. July 1982 - July 1983, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 82nd Student Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. July 1983 - November 1983, Student Pilot, Basic Fighter Tactics, 479th Tactical Training Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. November 1983 - June 1984, Student, Tactical Fighter, F-4D, 31st Tactical Training Wing, Homestead AFB, Fla.
4. June 1984 - March 1985, Aircraft Commander, Tactical Fighter, F-4E, 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. March 1985 - March 1986, Safety Officer, 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. March 1986 - June 1987, Standardization/Evaluation Officer, F-4E, 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
7. June 1987 - October 1987, Student - Adversary Tactics Instructor, F-5E, 65th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. October 1987 - October 1988, Aggressor Instructor Pilot, F-5E, 65th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. October 1988 - April 1989, Wing Standardization and Evaluation Flight Examiner, F-5, 65th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. April 1989 - June 1991, Aggressor Instructor Pilot, F-16, 65th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. June 1991 - August 1991, Inactive Ready Reserve, Air Reserve Personnel Center, Denver, Colo.
12. August 1991 - December 1994, Pilot, F-16, 159th Fighter Squadron, Jacksonville, Fla.
13. December 1994 - December 1995, Pilot, F-15, 159th Fighter Squadron, Jacksonville, Fla.
14. December 1995 - December 1996, Pilot, F-15/Weapons and Tactics Officer, 159th Fighter Squadron, Jacksonville, Fla.
15. December 1996 - June 2002, Pilot, F-15/B Flight Commander, 159th Fighter Squadron, Jacksonville, Fla.
16. June 2002 - June 2003, Commander, 159th Fighter Squadron, Jacksonville, Fla.
17. June 2003 - June 2004, Commander, 125th Maintenance Group, Jacksonville, Fla.
18. June 2004 - October 2008, Vice Commander, 125th Fighter Wing, Jacksonville, Fla.
19. October 2008 - December 2010, Commander, 125th Fighter Wing, Jacksonville, Fla.
20. December 2010 - June 2014, Chief of Staff, Florida Air National Guard, Saint Augustine, Fla.
21. November 2012 - June 2014, Commander, Florida Air National Guard, Saint Augustine, Fla.
22. June 2014 - November 2015, Air National Guard Assistant to Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
23. November 2015 - Present, Director for Mobilization and Reserve Affairs, United States Southern Command, Doral, Florida
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,300 hours
Aircraft Flown: F-4C/D/E, F-5E, F-16A/B/C/D, F-15A/B/C/D, T-37 and T-38B
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with nine oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with bronze hourglass
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star
Air Force Training Ribbon
Florida Cross Medal
Florida Distinguished Service Medal Florida Service Medal
Florida Commendation Medal
Florida Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Florida Service Ribbon with three oak leaf clusters
2008 Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
2010 Commander Air Force Forces, Central Command Exercise Falcon
Nest 11, Saudi Arabia
2013 Air National Guard Strategic Planning System Priority Four Chairman
2016 Certified and Performed Duties as acting CFACC, 1AF/AFNORTH
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun. 2, 1982
First Lieutenant Jun. 2, 1984
Captain Jun. 2, 1986
Major Jun. 2, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel Jun. 2, 2000
Colonel Jul. 22, 2004
Brigadier General Dec. 13, 2010
Major General Jun. 25, 2014
(Current as of March 2018)